Hello Hello! It’s Friday!
Whenever people ask me whether I’m getting bored of not having a proper job I laugh in their face a little bit (or at least allow myself a little discreet snigger behind my hand) because the weeks have been positively flying by in a flurry of activity and I am constantly wondering where all the time is going. I used to long for Friday, yearn for it, pine for it, and now it comes around way too soon, every bleepin week.
For all those want-to-be-free-bees in the audience I’ve decided to put together these posts every week (in theory) and I’m calling them the “Friday Fess-up”. This is where I’ll come clean about what I’ve been up to each week (and how little progress I have made on my novel…sigh) and you’ll get a little glimpse into the life of a free workerbee. I want this blog to be a home for all those with dreams who are working up the courage to follow them, and all those recent escapees who are wondering what other former City-types are up to. If you are in either category – please get in touch. We’re stronger together!
So you can use this as inspiration, observation, or procrastination – whatever you feel like on a snoozy Friday afternoon.
This week I have been mostly… making workerbeefree even prettier than it was before (did you notice? Please notice!); doing some more research for my novel (ok, ok! I have done absolutely no writing! Jeez. I’ll get to it… Next week. Probably); working on a TOP SECRET project which is very exciting and clandestine and sneaky — all will be revealed next week!
I’ve even put together this little grid showing you what I’ve been up to. Ok so this was completely unnecessary – but it was a nice way to spend a Friday morning.
This week I’ve been reading…
- The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies – research for my novel but also just really interesting.
- Hack Circus – How do you know you’re not just a brain in a jar? Really though – how do you know?
- The blog of Max Zografos – a nice blogger I met at the London Bloggers Meetup. He taught me about how the first hour of the day is the most precious – I have been trying not to squander it ever since.
- The gobsmackingly gorgeous blog of Jacintha at Urban Pixxels – she is an uber talented expat living in London and making me see my hometown in a whole new way.
- A Survival Guide for Beating Information Addiction – from the brilliant Zen Habits.
- Stop Using Your Inbox as a To-do List (Harvard Business Review blog).
- Shouldn’t the Breast Pump be as Elegant as an iPhone and as Quiet as a Prius by Now? (The New York Times)
- Gobbling up the lovely illustrations of Marion Fayolles (via Brain Pickings).
- More of a watch than a read: admiring the story of a man who found happiness late on in life on the high plains of the USA (via the Do Blog).
Have a great weekend!